just a little rant....
SO I was reading about Elizabeth Smart getting married.....
People.com is doing stories on her left and right. There are also stories about her in the news and other outlets. They are saying she is too young and rushed into it....People.com is not reporting that they were married in the Hawaii {Laie} Temple. SO everyone is assuming she is pregnant.
NICE.
In the Salt Lake Tribune, they have reported on this {i mean, it is a paper for a "mormon town"} so it states that it was in the temple and then they attended a Luau afterwards.
I just don't understand why a major media outlet cannot get their facts straight?!?! They are promoting rumors to be started and malicious comments about a poor girl who has been through so much.{I read through the comments--bad idea!}
There is nothing wrong with getting married at a young age.
There is nothing wrong with having a short engagement.
For some people who aren't raised to know the value of marriage and the sanctity of it. Sure, it might not be right for them. It's all about the reasons you are getting married. About the thought process that you put into it beforehand.
For those who are LDS {and other non-LDS people}...it requires a lot of faith, trust in the Lord, fasting and prayer.
I knew I would marry my husband long before we got engaged. But I still prayed about it and waited on a confirmation from the Lord in order to go through with it all.
It is a very important decision. One that a Latter-day Saint doesn't take lightly {especially if there is already children involved.}
Our engagement lasted almost a month.
Quick? Maybe...but he was leaving to go back to school and I was going with him.
Pregnant? Not a chance!! Some of my non-LDS friends might have speculated it, but they don't exactly know our beliefs {no sex before marriage} as throughly as they should or my deep commitment to them {my own fault.}
We knew that we were "meant" to be together. That it was something the Lord wanted for us. And when you know something like that....why wait?? Satan doesn't want us to have a temple marriage he would have our families be broken. The longer that you wait, the more time there is for satan to plant a seed....a seed of doubt or anything else. You have to have that trust in the Lord once you know and have faith that this is in fact right.
An LDS temple marriage is not for "til death do you part." It is forever, not just for the lives we live on this earth, but afterwards also. We don't see marriage as a social custom or a legal agreement. It's not just a peice of paper or contract you can break whenever things get too hard. We believe that marriage is the most sacred relationship that can exist between a man and a woman.
Nice rant! By the title I thught you may go down the road of "who cares if Elizabeth Smart got married!" but you took the higher road!
ReplyDeleteAmen to all you've said, sister! I'm happy for Elizabeth. Happily following you now via GFC and LF :) Thanks for joining us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.
ReplyDelete